As the Exclusive Insurance Partner of the National Junior College Athletic Association, the BMI team is ready to help you find insurance solutions for your athletic programs and beyond. With over 40 years of experience in the collegiate sports accident insurance space, BMI continues to advocate for student-athletes and intercollegiate sports. The BMI team recognizes the unique needs that two-year colleges have and we will design a plan for each institution based on preference and needs. We are well-known for our ability to assess each of those needs and our capacity in the marketplace will ensure positive results for members.
Basic & Catastrophic Intercollegiate, Club & Intramural Sports Insurance has been a core product at BMI for many decades. We currently place and administer collegiate sports accident insurance for over 500 colleges & universities across the country, including over 120 NJCAA schools, and our excellence in administration and claim servicing has made us a leader in the field. We have the expertise and experience to tailor the right insurance program for your needs. With BMI you will have the opportunity to continue working with your broker – you no longer need to choose to work with the NJCAA program or your local broker – you can now do both.
- Catastrophic Coverage underwritten by Liberty Insurance Underwriters, Inc. a Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Lifetime or 10-year Benefit Period
- $25,000, $35,000 or $50,000 per injury deductible options
- AD&D Benefit
- Disability Benefit
- Qualified Education Expense Benefit
- Family Expense Benefits
- Accommodation Expense Benefits
- Additional Plan Information in the NJCAA Catastrophic Brochure
- Ability for BMI to approach several A rated carriers, in addition to Liberty Mutual, to provide quote options for your base plan coverage. This allows BMI to provide the most comprehensive coverages at the most competitive premiums, while seamlessly administering all base and catastrophic claims in house for your program.
- Fully Insured and Self-Insured Programs
- High and Low Deductible Plan Options
- Deductible Administration Services
- Specific coverage for sports exposure including:
- HMO/PPO and Expanded Medical Benefits
- Pre-Existing Condition and Heart & Circulatory Benefits
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit
- Guest & Recruit Coverage
- 52-week, 104-week, and 156-week Benefit Periods Available
Exposures for club and intramural programs can be included as a separate class within your basic accident policy, or a separate policy can be written to insure your club and intramural programs.
Catastrophic Accident Insurance for your club & intramurals is also available. Outside of the NJCAA Intercollegiate Sports Catastrophic insurance program, you should also consider providing catastrophic coverage for your club and intramural sports programs. These programs are often overlooked from an insurance standpoint by institutions, but when you consider the programs offered at schools, such as club rugby, lacrosse, soccer or hockey, you have very high-risk exposures on campus that should be addressed.
International students often carry travel insurance or health coverage from their home country, which does not properly insure the student within the U.S, or more specifically while participating in College athletics. BMI can provide you with a health insurance plan for your international students and/or student-athletes that specifically provides benefits for intercollegiate sports related injuries. This coverage can be procured and paid for by the institution, or individual enrollment and payment can be done by students.
The BMI Team understands the ever-changing health insurance landscape, and the impacts these changes are having on an institution’s claim experience. An innovative primary accident insurance plan for Collegiate Uninsured & Underinsured Athletes from BMI could be your solution to reducing accident medical insurance premiums for your ICS program. This plan will cover all uninsured athletes (including international student-athletes) for accidental injuries, 24/7.
An innovative approach to containing the rising cost of insurance premiums for colleges & universities while providing a tangible benefit to all students is the implementation of a Mandatory Student Accident (MSA) plan.
A MSA plan will provide valuable protection to all students, while also saving the college or university a significant amount of money by greatly reducing the Intercollegiate Sports Accident Insurance (ICS) policy’s paid claims. As we are all aware, nationally there is still an underinsured and uninsured group within the student population. Even students with health insurance are facing an increasing amount of out of pocket responsibility, resulting from higher deductibles, copays and coinsurances. MSA plans provide vital accident coverage for students without health insurance, while filling in the gaps for those with health insurance.
MSA plans benefit all students, not just athletes, while also protecting the school. These plans afford the school peace of mind knowing there is a layer of coverage in place for everyone, and this acts as a first line of defense of claims to the GL policy.
Coverage Extends To:
- General Campus Accidents, Slips and Falls
- Club & Intramural Sports
- Campus Clubs
- Intercollegiate Sports
- Co-Ops, Internships & Externships
- Campus Events & Activities
- Travel To & From Campus
Collegiate Athletic Departments should consider this coverage to not only increase AD&D limits on their traditional sports accident insurance for their athletes, but broaden the coverage for coaches, staff, administration and others involved in the athletic department such as donors and guests. We can obtain limits as high as $250,000 per covered person.
Participant Accident Insurance and General Liability Coverage for your camps and clinics as well as any special events you run, are essential coverages for the protection of your group or organization.
Insurance is Available for:
- Sports Camps & Clinics
- Academic Camps
- Special Events
EVEN THE BEST LAID PLANS …
Pulling off a successful event takes a whole lot of time and effort. But just one unanticipated incident can result in devastating financial losses for a promoter or producer. We develop holistic protection plans that address the big picture and often-overlooked nuances of event risk and coverage.
Coverage options include:
- Event cancellation. This coverage protects event expenses and revenue against cancellation, postponement, rescheduling or abandonment caused by reasons beyond anyone’s control. Reasons like adverse weather, earthquakes, terrorism, communicable disease or venue unavailability.
- Non-appearance coverage. We can add this coverage to your event cancellation policy to provide protection for when your athletes or performers miss a scheduled event. Perils such as accidental injury, illness and death are included and can extend to immediate family.
- Prize indemnity. This insurance covers the costs of monetary awards or prizes for a variety of special events and contests like full-court basketball shots, TV game show contests, corporate or charity-sponsored competitions, and other promotional activities. We also provide surety bonds for games of chance.
- Contract bonus coverage. If you’re a corporate sponsor, sports team or entertainment organization that added a financial incentive into a professional athlete’s or entertainer’s contract to fulfill a certain goal, you’re taking a risk. We’ll move the risk from you to an insurance carrier.
- Promotions & awards. Sometimes a promotion works a little too well. We put policies into place that enable a sponsor or organization to fulfill a promotion’s promises without harming their bottom line.
- Weather/rain insurance. Weather is the biggest unknown when you’re working outside. We’ll determine which elements you’re likely to face and structure a cost-effective insurance policy that recoups losses
With BMI You Get
- Knowledge, Expertise & Industry Experience
- Ability to Access Quotes from over a half dozen ‘A’ Rated Insurance Carriers
- Cost Analysis and Plan Consulting
- BMI Benefits, LLC. – our in-house Claims Administration services
- Medical Cost Containment Services
- Customized Claim Reports
- 24/7 Claims Web Portal – Claim Status & Claim Submission
- Dedicated Claims Examiner
- Insurance Info Cards